When National Chengchi University was re-established in Taiwan in 1954, four graduate schools were set up, including the Graduate School of Citizenship Education.Renamed the Graduate School of Education in 1955, it became the first graduate school offering master's degree programs in Taiwan, with an emphasis on educational research. In this same year, the undergraduate degree program began providing the foundational courses in teaching and administration. In order to strengthen educational research, the department started the doctoral program in 1977. In order to provide systematic programs from undergraduate through doctoral studies,the undergraduate and graduate programs combined in 1996 to form the Department of Education. In 1999, a part-time master’s degree program in educational administrationwas established, focusing on principals and school administrators. In 2002, the Department of Education took on responsibility for this program. Many outstanding alumni have made substantial contributions to the field of education,including as minister of education, scholars, principals, teachers, and publishers.